[Mnbird] Goldfinches

Brian and Cindy bcdrill at charter.net
Tue Jan 13 08:10:24 CST 2015

Since we cut down our apple tree and put up a feeder station instead, I
wasn't certain what the birds would do this winter with the change in
cover and I expected some differences.  I have to agree though that we
had a large amount of goldfinches in the fall, and only a random one now
and again during the winter despite my putting out coarse sunflower
regularly, and a sunflower chip/nijer blend in other feeders.  We also
only have one pair of cardinals, where there was at least 3 pair of them
in the neighborhood the past couple years.  I have only one mourning
dove, but several woodpeckers.

I do have juncos daily, and the pesky house sparrows that I have
complained about in the past remain in large numbers.  I assume that
mortality rates increase with the tougher weather, but I have noticed at
least 5 dead sparrows in the past couple of weeks around the house--if
they are unwell, they tend to huddle along the foundation seeking
warmth.  The mortality doesn't seem to include any other birds but
sparrows, so perhaps there is something spreading in their colony.
Cindy in North Mankato

---