[Mnbird] A little migration magic

carol schumacher birdminn at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 07:59:25 CDT 2023

Fog this morning bringing a little migration magic?  Several Blue Jays whooping it up, finally seeing numbers of Cedar Waxwings and immature Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.
The river ridge top is busy with migrants.

Ruby-throated hummingbirds continue daily 3-4, as well as the usuals like Tufted Titmouse and close up immaculate Hairy Woodpeckers. Under porch eaves we have hung small peanut feeders attracting all woodpeckers etc. and a Pileated Woodpecker called cruising through.

Friday before less than expected rain no less than six Gray Catbirds visited our deck-mounted metal fountain, all in a 2’x2’area.  Occasionally “one” sang amid the 4 mature crab trees where they must have been feeding out of sight. These trees have brought in numerous species over the last 40 years.

One wonders what is here hidden by leaves and boughs. Much I suspect. Continuous feeding year round for years make this path a true haven for which we are grateful.
My hope...someday other birders will reside here to partake.

Carol Schumacher
On the Mississippi in Winona