[Mnbird] Myre-Big Island State Park

Allen Batt snoeowl at aol.com
Wed Sep 6 13:27:45 CDT 2023

  I’ve been spending my free time birding at Myre-Big Island State Park. There were nice waves of warblers on the Great Marsh Trail yesterday, but some were waving goodbye. The warblers were mostly American Redstarts, but there was a nice mix of other species. The water levels in the ponds are low and the mudflats brought in shorebirds. Many a patient Green Heron maintained its own office space for hunting. Deer walked through the sucking mud, leaving them black-legged on shore after quenching their thirst. Turkeys and squirrels made the same long muddy walk to drinking water. A great flock of Great Egrets perched in the trees and a leucistic Eastern Kingbird glowed in the leafy green foliage. A Red-eyed Vireo sang backup vocals to everything I saw. “Here I am. In a tree. Look at me. Vireo.” I savored every moment.
 As I drove home at dusk, Albert Lea presnted a lovely sky of Common Nighthawks.

Al Batt
Freeborn County

Al Batt

“Do something wild today. Look at a bird.” — Al Batt
Twitter http://twitter.com/batt_allen
Podcast https://soundcloud.com/kmsu/sets/birding-with-batt
Blog http://www.albatt.com/blogs
BIRDING WITH BATT  If you missed “Birding With Batt” on the airwaves this week, you can hear it any time you like via the free KMSU radio streaming app. The app is available for Apple and Android devices, allowing you to livestream 89.7 the Maverick, find playlists and listen to shows on-demand.