[Mnbird] Seven inches of snow birds in Freeborn County

Al Batt snoeowl at aol.com
Mon Mar 15 19:38:37 CDT 2021

   A yard-filling flock of Red-winged Blackbirds blackened the snow this morning. I tried to determine by use of my Hartland Grade School arithmetic what percent of those birds were female. I reckoned about 10%.
  A nice flock of Rusty Blackbirds blew in with the storm. I'm always happy to see them. I wanted to yell as my father might have, "Pour another cup of water in the soup, we have company."
  Brown-headed Cowbirds joined the melee on the ground below the feeders. A female cowbird was taking a break in a lilac when she was attacked by two male House Sparrows. She fought back and the battle was prolonged. Had her parasitizing reputation preceded her? Was it over a prime perching position? Or was it orneriness? Interesting behavior.
  Dark-eyed Juncos made the sounds of ray guns. The snow must go. The juncos must, too.

Al Batt
Hartland