[Mnbird] Fwd: Bobolinks

Whyte, Linda linda at moosewoods.us
Sun Jun 20 06:25:52 CDT 2021

"I second that motion!" And let's hope that, if fewer birds have made it
back to us, those few will at least benefit from less competition for
territory and food, to increase breeding success. It may take another
breeding season, but more favorable weather could help them recover.
On another hopeful note, dry conditions may encourage them to explore
niches less familiar to them--- perhaps the case with the Acadian
Flycatcher at Crosby Park in St. Paul. It was very cooperative yesterday
morning, calling and perching right around and above the trail.
I wish its example had been followed by the Prothonotary Warbler, calling
further down the trail by the backwaters. A banding engagement precluded
taking time to bushwhack and see it, so it will require another try. But
after all the negative events reported, it's good to know someone made it
back!
The same holds true for Cerulean Warblers in Miesville Ravine and
Black-throated Blues on Oberg Mountain. Those encounters have raised hopes
worth holding onto.
Linda Whyte