[Mnbird] birding in Hawaii

Richard Carlson rccarl at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 1 15:19:50 CST 2017

We did the Hakalau Forest tour in 2013.  It's a good walk.  No lava flows but some slippery trails.  You need to be quick to see many of the elusive birds.  Dry forest birds are in a different area.  The refuge is a disastrously underfunded mess.  The ramshackle HQ was broken into the night before, so they lost much of their equipment.  This is the location of the biggest concentration of endangered species in the nation.  It should be a top priority, but it's really the bottom.  Driving around you can see Hawaiian hawks and various grouse type species.  You can hike in from the Old Saddle road. On the shore are Golden Plovers and lots of Tattlers.

Richard Carlson
Full time birder, part time economist
From Minnesota, just temporarily absent since 1960
Tucson & Lake Tahoe