[Mnbird] Vostex Binoculars

Stephen Greenfield tapaculo47 at gmail.com
Fri May 15 11:33:32 CDT 2015

To Eric's question, "Do you know of any real and quantitative tests that
show better optical performance or durability any of the high-priced ones?",
I recall seeing technical such tests in the past (viewing patterns of
gridlines, etc., as in the good digital camera reviews), but a search didn't
come up with any. The reviews that are fairly comprehensive and give numbers
are still basically subjective. (I'd be curious to know if they even hide
the brand-name.)
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/Page.aspx?pid=2674
http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/

Even given the numerical ratings they do come up with, you typically find
quality ratings like 4.9 out of 5 for the top makes, versus as much as 4.5
for a medium-cost binocular. So you have to think" is it worth 3x the cost
for a 20% improvement? (That's among the reasons I've never indulged myself
with expensive bins.) However, in my experience the differences seem much
greater in poor light, e.g. looking toward the sun or at dusk.

Finally, FWIW, I defy anyone to look through top-of-the-line Swarovski's or
Zeiss and not find they "blow your socks off". There was a good article on
this topic by Diana Doyle in Birding recently (couldn't find a link; she's a
serious reviewer of technical birding aids, and a person who has always used
mid-price binoculars), and she concludes she'll never go back from the
high-end equipment.