[Mnbird] FOYs

Tami Vogel tvogel at wrcmn.org
Fri Mar 22 12:48:49 CDT 2024

Been meaning to post an update on FOY birds, and seeing my first kestrel yesterday (on a signpost along a 35E on ramp of all places!), prompted me to finally do it.

Had my FOY woodcock at the earliest date ever recorded in my 22-year phenology: Monday, March 12th. Was here for 3 nights and then moved on, haven't heard any others. That same week, massive flocks of waterfowl migrating at night added the whisper/whistle of wings and calls to the nightime sounds of critters stirring in the leaves as they emerged from their winter homes (poor timing, chaps).

Also saw my FOY horned larks along the fields down the street from my house that next Tuesday (13th).

Saw the 1st 2 turkey vultures of the year soaring over those same fields yesterday morning.

Starlings and red-winged blackbirds both showed up last week.

Meanwhile, pine siskins are donning their brighter yellows and looking quite dapper. The 60+ juncos are filling the air with their varied, charming sounds. Was surprised to not see a single redpoll this season. And oddly had purple finches all winter long - might be the first time, need to check my records. Definitely the first time they stuck around in recent years.

Enjoying the snow that has covered the depressing, dreary brown landscape.

Happy spring birding!

  *
Tami in Afton