[Mnbird] Thistle whistle

DONALD GRUSSING Owner cdrussin at centurylink.net
Fri Mar 1 11:16:59 CST 2024

Nothing eats from my thistle feeder any more.  House Finches, Gold Finches, Pine Siskins (only for a couple of days) Mensa Juncos (those that have learned to eat from bird feeders) plus the usual suspects all go for Golden Safflower.  Even Starlings have been there from time to time.

I do put thistle in with a mixed feed offering I get from the bird store which I put ih a different feeder.  I think the Juncos eat it, there and they consume the other offerings. The Juncos go  after it when I spread thistle on the ground.  But not at the thistle feeder.

New fresh thistle don't seem to change anything.

Of course on these global warming days the birds disperse and I suspect some Juncos will be taking the early winds north.

I even saw the first Brown Creeper of the year yesterday.

Don Grussing
Minnetonka