[Mnbird] ID Assist Please

John Hamer hamerjohn34 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 00:13:03 CST 2024

I have seen 7 of these that look like your bird sitting on highway lights
along 169 and 494 lately. To me they are coopers juveniles.
It's a bit of a trick to id them while going by at 60 mpg but. They have a
distinct dark head that contrasts with a very light front.  They are medium
sized buteos. Their tale isn't as long as the cooper's hawks..A more
accurate guess would be if we can make out the black tip on the beek.  The
larger buteos would not let you get that close.