[Mnbird] swifts are swift

Raymond Faber RFABER at smumn.edu
Fri Sep 22 14:24:10 CDT 2023

Thanks for making us think, Al!  I once wrote a paper for an Ornithology
class regarding bird flight.  After study of the mechanics of flight, my
conclusion was basically that chimney swifts are among the best if not the
best fliers in the world.

Also, many years ago I got a call in early October telling me that many
dead and dying birds were on the ground at St. Stan's church in Winona.
They were all chimney swifts.  It turned out that they had just turned on
the heat (probably using coal as the heat source).  Ugh!

Ray Faber

--
Raymond A. Faber, PhD.
Professor of Biology Emeritus--Saint Mary's University of Minnesota

Telephone: 507-896-2577