[Mnbird] Chimney Swift

Steve Weston sweston2g at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 11:30:18 CDT 2023

One of my fondest memories was watching Chimney Swifts dancing a courtship
display over an abandoned one room school in SW Minnesota. Two of the birds
joined in mid-air hurtling toward the ground, swooping away from each other
only a foot or two above ground. Later research revealed that while this is
a common occurrence in Europe where the swift species and social mores are
different, I could find no reports of Chimney swifts doing it on the wing.
They were reported or suspected of doing it in the privacy of their chimney
bedroom.
Another observation from those days, while other species were paired up
during mating season, chimney swifts always seemed to be going around in
threes.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
sweston2g at gmail.com