[Mnbird] Chimney Swift

DONALD GRUSSING Owner cdrussin at centurylink.net
Thu Sep 21 09:39:41 CDT 2023

Nice memories Al. As a kid in Hopkins I caught heck from the football coaches in junior high school when at practice after school I would get so distracted by the swirling tornado of swifts going down the chimney of the old senior high school next to the practice field (The school and its huge chimney is now long gone), In summer I would watch bunches of swifts flying past the dead twigs high in the elm trees trying to break off twiglets from which to make their nests.

And I spent countless summer hours watching swifts, trying to determine if they sometimes flew with alternating wing beats (a topic in some of the bird books of those days.). I hardly ever see a chimney swift now.

Don Grussing
Minnetonka