[Mnbird] BBS and Q about Japanese Beetles

John Hamer hamerjohn34 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 23:25:28 CDT 2023

I really enjoyed your summary on the quantity of species.  We just moved
from our home in Mound where I had maybe a 20th of an acre restored to
tallgrass prairie. I had a smattering of Japanese beetles. They didn't seem
to have a favorite food and they are quite obvious sitting on a leaf .
They never did any extensive damage to.any particular plant. I was really
impressed that you had so many snapping turtles.  We were short on snappers
dead on the road. I didn't see many wandering around in people's
yard looking for a place to lay their eggs.  I birded the area behind the
MN Valley Natl. Wildlife Headquarters just after the flood waters went
down.  There were 3 dead snappers floating in a little backwash.  I thought
it might be because of the flood but another person on MN birds said they
have a pond where they saw a pair breeding, the next thing they were
floating dead.
Thanks for the post.

John Hamer