[Mnbird] BBS and Q about Japanese Beetles

Allen Batt snoeowl at aol.com
Sun Jul 2 15:28:52 CDT 2023

  For 30+ years of Junes, I’ve done a Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) covering parts of Mower, Freeborn and Steele Counties. A BBS isn’t only a frolicking foray away from life’s accustomed roads, it’s a practice in mindfulness. I start at 5:02 a.m. and make 50 stops for 3 minutes each and tally every bird I see or hear. Like many things in life, it’s important to listen. Each year, the Red-winged Blackbird has been the bird I’ve counted most often. The BBS never fails to thrill and surprise. I heard a Willow Flycatcher “Ah-choo.” Sandhill Cranes appeared as usual, but Trumpeter Swans did not. I see one Chimney Swift each year. Oddly, it’s always just one. Red-headed Woodpeckers weren’t in numbers high enough to cause anyone to consider a hunting season, but I saw a bunch. The collective noun for woodpeckers is a descent. I see that in flickers in my yard each year, but the Red-headed Woodpeckers were cleverly spaced for my constant amazement. Another highlight didn’t involve a single bird. I saw more Snapping Turtles than mosquitoes. I love a BBS—it keeps my 3-minute egg timer employed. Excelsior!
  On another subject, that of Japanese Beetles, beautiful botherations that feed on over 300 plant species. I’ve heard and read that starlings are prime predators of adult beetles. Garter snakes and grackles were mentioned. I know skunks and raccoons tear up a lawn in their pursuit of Japanese Beetle grubs and chickens have plucked a few adults, but has anyone seen anything eating the adult beetles?

Al Batt