[Mnbird] Goldfinch Nesting begins, Dakota Co

Brian and Cindy Drill bcdrill at charter.net
Fri Jul 15 06:55:05 CDT 2022

I have been hanging some fluff balls for nesting for several years, and
for the first time this year other birds are joining in the harvest of
nest materials besides the goldfinches.  We have watched the
hummingbirds gather from it--knowing the nest they build is tiny, it is
difficult to believe they NEED all they pull off of the ball, but it is
fun to watch.  Unfortunately, house sparrows are also finding the
nesting material an easy choice.  I do find that birds will gather from
this nest building material almost as soon as I place it out in the
spring, even though I am aware that goldfinches don't raise their
families until later in the season.  They must do practice nests early
on before the real work begins.  And no--none of the nests are built in
our yard, either.  Cindy in North Mankato