[Mnbird] FOYs and Magic of a Spring Night

Tami Vogel tvogel at wrcmn.org
Fri Mar 26 15:50:25 CDT 2021

A fox sparrow is towering over his companion flock of 70+ juncos in our yard.

Saw my FOY turkey vulture last Sunday and today bluebirds darting across the road.

Had a truly wonderful experience late last Friday night while outside w the dogs. Must have been 11:45pm or so and I heard hi-pitched sounding swans.  Then I heard their wings.

I looked up and could barely make out the flock overhead. It was massive. Wave after wave. The calls echoed through the air for a good 8 minutes before fading off as they winged their way north.

I'm assuming these were tundras but honestly? I don't really care. The absolute magic of standing outside hearing the birds moving overhead was a lifetime experience.

I saw a huge flock of small songbirds pass in front of a full moon last spring and that is also embedded in my brain.

Just this week the leaves started rustling late at night with worms and herptiles emerging.

If you can, go outside and enjoy the magical sounds of a spring night. It recharges my soul.

Wishing you all a wonder-filled weekend.

 - Tami in Afton