[Mnbird] Bass Ponds birds, Friday

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Sat Jan 30 08:18:00 CST 2021

Still present along the creek was the Yellow-rumped Warbler---this time,
not in the upper reaches, but in the lower section, midway between the two
bridges. It was on the west side of the stream, perched around 8 feet high.
Also in (obscured) evidence, was the Winter Wren that seems to favor the
fenced holding pond next to the parking lot. This was my 4th sight of the
bird, the third at this pond. It has a knack for zipping up from the muddy
edges and through the fencing, before I can get my binoculars up for a
satisfactory look. (There was even less satisfaction from the look given on
an earlier occasion, along the upper reaches of the creek as it flew down
the stream.) Yesterday, it at least spent some minutes foraging at the
edges near the intake culvert, disappearing among the rocks and clumps of
marsh grass. Two other birders were watching the action at the same time,
and would surely attest to the difficulty of getting great looks. I'll be
holding out for better views, in hopes of catching it downstream with no
interference from fencing and steam !
As before, the biggest pond had numerous mallards, and again, a female
Common Merganser. In addition there were two pairs of Canada Geese. As
another birder pointed out, and I would agree, these seemed to be the
Lesser or Richardson's variety, with shorter neck and bill.
Linda Whyte