[Mnbird] Freeborn County birds

Al Batt snoeowl at aol.com
Wed Feb 3 19:52:12 CST 2021

  A trip to see medical professionals was softened by birding from here to there. I saw flocks of Horned Larks. Some Horned Larks winter in my neck of the woods, but the flocks start moving back into Minnesota this time of the year. It's always good to see them. I watched in awe as one sizable flock of Snow Buntings rolled through the air as if they were feathered snowflakes. That made my day. I haven't seen many of them this winter, but it's probably me who has been missing. I spotted a pair of Eurasian Collared-Doves and a female Red-winged Blackbird, a bird I find stunning. And I saw what I believe to be an Oregon Junco — dark hood, brown back, buffy sides and white belly. It's amazing what a fellow can see when he looks.

Al Batt
Hartland