[Mnbird] Tropical sounds and scene

carol schumacher birdminn at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 27 09:25:37 CDT 2021

Retreating to the porch with a perfect peach on granola. 68 degrees, heavy steady rain. The fountain overfull splashing not so gently.

Baltimore Orioles sounding off had me running to scrape the bottom of the jam jar filling their feeders in the rain. The piercing calls resound off the house. Late August Orioles come through stocking up. Count on it.  Migration in the upper Miss. valley is a kaleidoscope.

At least 12 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds vied for ports on 4 full window feeders. When Cardinals, woodpeckers, nuthatch, titmouse, chickadees, catbirds move move in the crab trees  it seems a cloud of replacement hummingbirds flies out. How many are here? After counting 12-15 at once its only estimate. The rotation as seen from inside changes throughout the day now.

Recalling mesmerizing times on decks with banana fruit feeders in Central and South America. While it could be said I’m not there, it’s raining in my tropics. Lovely.
Some day we will move but new bird experiences will bring it all back.  Thankful.

Carol
Winona MN on the Mississippi