[Mnbird] Backyard Views

Brian and Cindy Drill bcdrill at charter.net
Tue Apr 27 14:14:48 CDT 2021

Good afternoon all.  I arrived home from a garden center trip around
12:30, and decided to plant a couple of the perennials I had chosen.
The back yard was quite full of bird chatter, although my trees had only
a few goldfinches.  I located the neighbors tree across our back yard as
the source of the sounds, and discovered a large (20+) flock of pine
siskins sitting at the top branches.

While I was observing them, I noticed a larger bird in another tree a
short distance across the yard, so I grabbed my binoculars for a better
look.  It turned out to be a very fluffed up Flicker, resting on the
branch.

I returned to my planting, and something caused me to look up.  I was
treated to a steady stream of broad winged hawks moving northerly,
almost directly over my back yard! While the skies are overcast and the
birds were primarily colorless against the gray skies, I was able to see
the white tail band on some flying lower than the rest.  The parade went
on for almost a half hour, with small breaks between groups.  I gave up
attempting to count them, although that would have been fun to know.

Yesterday I saw pelicans overhead around noon, but so far they have not
landed in a water body near me to get to see them closer.  Still
awaiting more migrants--Cindy in North Mankato