[Mnbird] Tennessee Warbler

Brian and Cindy Drill bcdrill at charter.net
Sat Sep 19 06:07:27 CDT 2020

Good morning--I finally got a decent photo of the little warbler that
has been visiting my magnolia tree the past few afternoons, and ID'd it
as a Tennessee.  It has been fun to watch from my patio as it picks
seeds from the tree--the magnolia seeds are orange and nearly the size
of an M&M, and that little bird flits up to grab one from a branch tip,
and then settles on a branch to work it back to swallow whole.  Quite a
feat.  It will also occasionally go to the ground to retrieve a dropped
seed.

A lone catbird has been showing up in the evenings, probably a young
from this years nests.  The pairs that nested in the neighborhood have
been gone for a few weeks.

We are also having fairly regular visits by a Coopers hawk. Earlier in
the week it dropped in from practically nowhere to nab a young goldfinch
from under the feeder, and yesterday I walked out of the house
mid-afternoon and startled it on the ground on the patio.  I did not see
if it had a meal that time.  The birds are not appearing to be
frightened too badly from it and have not abandoned the feeders--I have
been having over a dozen goldfinches and also some sparrows, chickadees,
and mourning doves flocking to the feeders daily.  After the hawk
dropped in the other day, they all returned to feeding within 20
minutes.  Cindy in North Mankato