[Mnbird] Backyard birding in Golden Valley

Betsy Kerr bjkerr at umn.edu
Wed Oct 21 17:21:46 CDT 2020

The usual suspects around the feeder have been joined today by other
hunters, in addition to the now regular Juncoes and White-Throated
Sparrows.  A large flock of Robins started feeding on our Winterberry hedge
(about a dozen bushes, easily 6 ft. high and 6 ft. across) early this
morning, with occasional visits to the Juniper hedge (17 trees as high as
the neighbors' two-story house).  Some Robins are here still (or again?),
now accompanied by a small flock of Cedar Waxwings, plus one lone Hermit
Thrush, who seems to have been hanging around here for several days.  I
don't see many of the red winterberries remaining.  This happens every
year, but I don't usually have the good fortune to see it.  Ah, the joys of
retirement!  (And Covid?)

Finally, a black form at the base of the utility pole behind the
Winterberry hedge turned out to be a female Pileated that stayed and pecked
at the old pole for at least ten minutes.

Happy birding in the snow,
Betsy Kerr