[Mnbird] Early Weekend Sightings

Brian and Cindy Drill bcdrill at charter.net
Mon May 25 07:37:17 CDT 2020

Good morning, damp as it is.

I don't know if I have simply missed the warbler activity during past
Springs because I was always working, or if the pattern has changed
here, but I have been enjoying a rather frequent visit of the small
birds this weekend.  We had a particularly busy day here on Friday, with
small groups of 6 or so birds popping in and out.  I identified Common
Yellowthroat easily, but some of the others were a little more difficult
due to their acrobatic flitting about the garden.  The water features
were a draw, and I believe some photos I got at my birdbath may be of
Orange Crowned warblers.

I purchased (at a deep bargain price) an older model trail camera, and
have it set up to take pictures at my birdbath.  Last year I had it
focused on the pond, but when I saw increased activity at the birdbath I
moved it. The photos are not always crisp due to the low resolution
allowed by this camera (8mg), but it has been fun all the same.  I even
captured a female Scarlet Tanager dropping in last Thursday, which I
would not have known about if not for the camera.

We have a male Ruby Throat hummingbird coming by several times a day,
very brief visits each time.  This is unusual in that we have always
been seeing females in past years, with male visits rare.  We have begun
to see a female recently, but again the visits are brief.  We always
assumed the female in past years had chosen a nest site nearby which is
why she was a regular in the yard, and perhaps this year they are a bit
further afield or have yet to settle.

On Sat. we also had a short stump inspection by a Pileated woodpecker.
We had not seen them as often this past winter, so it was fun to have a
visit again.

Lastly, this was not my ID, but my daughter believes she saw a red
headed woodpecker in her neighborhood. This would be in the Calvary
Cemetery area of Mankato.  I plan on trying to visit there soon to see
if it can be refound. Cindy in North Mankato