[Mnbird] MVNWR - MRVAC Program cancelations and recent Refuge Bird sightings

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Fri May 1 18:59:05 CDT 2020

5/1/2020

Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge and MRVAC field trip update

The Refuge visitor centers remain closed, but the trails are open sunrise to sunset.

The MRVAC/MVNWR - programs that I was scheduled to lead, have been canceled through the end of May.  Please check the MRVAC or MVNWR web sites for updates on these and other events sponsored by the MRVAC and the MVNWR.

I spent some time at the MVNWR today.  Birding at the Old Cedar Ave. Bridge and the trails at the Bloomington Visitor Center.

Visitor Center
The water level at Peterson Pond, which can be observed from the observation deck a the bottom of the Hill side trail has some shorebirds, but you will need a spotting scope to observe them.
Today there were Lesser Yellowlegs, a Long-billed Dowitcher and a Killdeer, other observers also observed a Willet , Greater Yellowlegs and a Spotted Sandpiper there today.

There were also a few Warbler's, including Yellow-rumped, Palm and Pine Warbler.

Bass Ponds
I passed on birding here, do to a very full parking area.
Recent Ebird reports show around 60 species of birds observed there in the last few days.

Old Cedar Avenue Bridge
The trail work here appears complete, but the Restrooms have yet to open.
There were Sparrows in the area East of the parking lot along with a Brown Thrasher, Yellow Warbler, Nashville Warbler and a Northern Waterthrush.

>From the board walk observation deck there was mix of Waterfowl and an American Avocet made a brief appearance around 9:00 am, but flew off after about a minute.

According to EBird lists, over 70 species of birds have been observed there in the last few days.

Craig Mandel

EgretCMan at msn.com
952-240-7647