[Mnbird] Holey hostasa!

Al Batt snoeowl at aol.com
Wed Jun 3 16:09:30 CDT 2020

  Holey hostas!
  Hailstones larger than golf balls. A church steeple crashed to the ground during the storm.
  My wife headed out to check on relatives from a social distance. I stayed home to survey the damage and make proper adjustments. I carried sticks to brush piles and tried to count the six Fox Squirrels released at our place by the good folks at the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. Counting squirrels is more difficult than herding cats.
  The hail clipped spruce tips. I thought of a guy I know in Haines,  Alaska, who'd make spruce tip beer from them. The garden took a beating — especially the tomatoes and eggplants. Radish sandwiches would calm the peckish.
  I filled the battered bird feeders with bird fuel. I worried about the nestling birds — catbird, thrasher, robin, cardinal, Chipping Sparrow and more. I figured the cavity nesters such as  the woodpeckers and kestrels weathered well.
  I opened the garage door and a Barn Swallow flew out. It had entered as my wife had exited.
  It was happy to see the world.
  So am I.

 Al Batt
Hartland
Freeborn County

“Do something wild today. Look at a bird.” — Al Batt