[Mnbird] Sharp-Tailed Sandpiper, Scott County

Kyle TePoel KCTEPO00 at smumn.edu
Thu Aug 20 17:26:29 CDT 2020

I realize people are going to want photographic proof--and my computer and
phone are both giving me fits right now, but I'll try access my pictures as
soon as possible--but in the interest of reporting this quite rare species,
I want to share that this morning at Louisville Swamp (part of the MN River
Valley National Wildlife Refuge), for about 30 minutes I observed a
Sharp-Tailed Sandpiper. There was fairly heavy turn-over at this spot; the
bird was not seen when I first arrived, and it took off and was not seen
again when I left.  Interestingly enough that this is just a few miles from
where this species was seen 4 falls ago as well (I was able to see it at
that time, so I do have at least the one prior experience viewing this
species).

This was on a trail marked with a sign on one side, but not the other (and
I feel the signage/navigation at this spot is always a bit tricky anyway),
but I'm attaching a screen shot of Google Maps indicating where I observed
the bird. A good mix of species was present here, at reasonably close
distance. Note that the mudflats (with some shallow water) is very
widespread and just because it left (with most of the other shorebirds)
during my stay would not mean it's entirely gone from the area. But also
note that exploring it will be difficult, as there are very limited
vantage points in proximity of the mudflats, and it is way too murky to
even attempt walking on.

Regarding the Sharp-Tailed SP: There was no mistaking this brick-red
colored shorebird from the rest. Its deep rusty-red colored cap was
notable, as was its buffy-orangeish breast (more so closer to the wings
than in the front). Given the crispness of its plumage I'd surmise this to
be a juvenile. It was not a Dunlin; it had the two white stripes lengthwise
on its back (common in many shorebird species but not Dunlin) and had no
hint of a black patch on its belly. Besides, Dunlin probably wouldn't look
so red at this time of year. Size-wise it was similar to the White-Rumpeds
and Pectorals in the flock, but it was almost always on its own vs. feeding
among the other species, and that (plus its coloration) made it easy to
re-spot whenever it took off and re-landed. It was not streaked densely
across the chest like a Pectoral would be, either.

I will try to share a photo(s) as soon as I can get my tech issues resolved
here...hopefully yet tonight!

Kyle Te Poel
Stillwater Township, MN