[Mnbird] House Wren and Other Birds - Afton

Tami Vogel tvogel at wrcmn.org
Wed Apr 29 16:48:58 CDT 2020

Despite my wren guard I just watched a house wren destroy a chickadee nest, puncturing the eggs. I know people get all revved up about house sparrows but man, house wrens are just vicious little birds.

I'm so sad for the chickadees.

This is the first year the wren guard hasn't worked and oddly it's not even on a house that the wrens have used in the past.

On the bright side, lovely bursts of colors have been added to our yard with the orioles and the continuing yellow-rumpeds and pine warblers. I've heard palm warblers are around but haven't seen any. There must be around 90 white-throated sparrows scattered throughout our feeding areas, singing their beautiful little songs. Oh, and our FOY white-crowned sparrow showed up yesterday. Haven't seen any juncos in a couple days...

I did spot my first two cormorants of the season this week, too.

Hope your chickadees are safely nesting and you're having a good week!

 - Tami in Afton