[Mnbird] Washington County birding & an aggressive turkey

Kyle TePoel KCTEPO00 at smumn.edu
Mon Apr 20 11:23:38 CDT 2020

Searched for ducks and shorebirds today in central Washington County,
finding modest variety of waterfowl (Horned Grebe being my favorite of the
day) and only one definite species of non-Killdeer shorebirds (Greater
Yellowlegs, at three different spots), with a possible, but very distant,
Spotted Sandpiper that I lost sight of.

Did have some other personal firsts for the year though, including
Broad-Winged Hawk, Blue-Winged Teal, Swamp Sparrows.

There seemed to be a decent amount of raptor migration happening today;
many kettling Red-Tails, Cooper's, and the previously mentioned Broad-Wing.

At home, I've been contending with a turkey constantly poking its head into
my doors. I've had robins, chickadees, and other smaller birds do this on
windows, car doors, etc., but never a turkey. I keep chasing it off, and it
keeps coming back. Anyone else ever have aggressive turkeys banging their
heads against windows/doors?

Kyle Te Poel
Stillwater Township, MN