[Mnbird] big changes at 140th St. Marsh, Dakota County

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Wed Apr 1 12:43:39 CDT 2020

After an exercise walk at the Spring Lake Park Reserve archery range, I
made a quick detour to 140th St.  To my huge surprise, most of the cedar
trees, behind and adjacent to the water on the north side of the road, have
been hydro-axed and bull-dozed. This is the area where in recent years, we
had Blue Grosbeaks and Bell's Vireos, among other specialties. It would
seem the work is related not to the landfill, but to the sand and gravel
operation further back. Some change would be inevitable, it of course, due
to the increasing depth of water there, but it will definitely limit
surrounding breeding habitat even more dramatically.
If anyone knows of the plans for this site, I would appreciate hearing
about it.
(The local Kestrel was perched on a utility wire down the road, to the west
of the Rosemount Water Treatment facility. Little bird activity was
detected on the south side of the road today, but my distraction was likely
responsible for that.)
Linda Whyte