[Mnbird] Red-headed woodpeckers

Pamela Freeman gleskarider at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 20:52:20 CDT 2019

This is true of all 'snags' and dead trees - they are a very important part
of a living forest - insects make their homes in them and eat them, and the
birds, and some animals too, find them and so are nourished, as well as
finding their own homes there-in.
It is true that sometimes it is necessary to take down a dead tree, as if
it is in danger of falling, and would do so on a structure or where a
person could be harmed, that, of course, must be taken into account and
prevented. But it is a good thing to leave them up when you can, either for
as long as you can, while they are still strong and not a danger, or if
they are not near to structures or power lines and such, then keep them.  I
think too often, people think, oh, its dead, it is of no use anymore, or it
is just ugly, and down it goes.
We need to keep habitat where we can.
We have some acres, and we leave our dead trees standing, unless they are
somewhere where their falling would cause harm or injury.
And we have many woodpeckers who come to forage on them. No red headed,
alas, but pileated, downy and hairy and red bellied.
Some only build their nests in living growth, but they sure do find food in
the dead wood. The splinters fly when the pileateds go at them!

Thanks for you post - it is good to know that they, the red headeds, are
seemingly thriving in some areas. I remember them from growing up being
pretty common, and now I have to go to certain known places to find them.

- Pamela
Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to
accomplish it. The time will pass anyway. - Unknown

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
― Aldo Leopold
I am one who cannot.