[Mnbird] Late to the party perhaps, but spotting sparrows (autumn) in Oak Grove

Pamela Freeman gleskarider at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 13:07:16 CDT 2019

No juncos yet, but I expect they too shall arrive.
In the meantime, the fox sparrows are busy kicking up leaves and duff
looking for whatever it is they look for so assiduously.
Amongst them are white throated sparrows also doing their own flitting and
kicking, though perhaps not quite as robustly as the larger fox do.
Between the two of them, numbering several at the least, they produce a
flurry of activity that can mimic the whirls of fall leaves in the wind but
for the leaves not quite moving in the patterns the wind breathes but
instead fits and starts.
To spy these little guys, I look first for those spits and starts of
leaves, sort of mini geysers of duff and then re-focus my eyes to find the
nearly perfectly camouflaged bird that is certain to be kicking it up.
And there I find it.
The ruddy bulbous body of the fox sparrow, larger than other sparrows,
portly and colored toward russet than others of his kind.
And the white throated who sports that white and a flash of yellow that I
can find with my eyes.

I also had a tiny charming visitor to my mostly autumnal-y dry garden. A
small olive colored thing, who darted here and there, looking for insects,
I think.
I think it may have been a ruby crowned kinglet, but I didn't get a good
look as it was very active and never would stay still for long or out in
the open.
It was delightful to watch and I found myself smiling at catching the sight
of it going about its business.
It made me happy I had planted things and then had left them, rather than
'cleaning' out the garden.

My yard and land is in northern Anoka county, Oak Grove, a mix of open-ish
hard woods, marsh and wet thicket, wet meadow, creek and ponds.

- Pamela
Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to
accomplish it. The time will pass anyway. - Unknown

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
― Aldo Leopold
I am one who cannot.