[Mnbird] Help with hawk ID

Betsy Kerr bjkerr at umn.edu
Tue Mar 12 10:03:12 CDT 2019

I'm not good at raptor IDs, and I'm really puzzled by a pair of hawks that
briefly visited our neighborhood this morning (Golden Valley, just north of
Wirth Park).  Unfortunately, I did not have my binocs.  They were buteos,
and the larger one was about the size of a Red-Tailed, but absolutely no
red in the tail feathers. I had a pretty clear though brief view of the
underside.  Sorry I can't provide all the details, but it was some pattern
of black and white, but not mottled like immature Bald Eagles. The most
remarkable feature was a very clear, fairly wide band, solid and very dark,
maybe somewhat rusty, that I would call a collar, at the top of the
neck/start of the breast.  It was clearly bordered by white on both sides.

I don't see anything in Sibley that looks like this.  Any ideas?  Again,
sorry for the lack of some details.

Betsy Kerr
Golden Valley, MN