[Mnbird] Coopers Hawks-Columbia Hts.

lois fimmano lfimmo at comcast.net
Wed Jul 17 23:37:43 CDT 2019

Al,

You are saying that possibly an increase in Blue Jays limited the nesting of Coopers?

Thanks!

Lois

> On July 17, 2019 at 5:59 PM Al Batt via Mnbird <mnbird at lists.mnbird.net> wrote:
>
>     Lois,
>
>       A study done at Southern Illinois University (Rachel M. Ehrlich and Lee M. Drickamer, 1993) found that Cooper’s Hawks rarely reused a nest, but frequently nested in the same tree stand for several years. An interesting finding in this study was that the constant harassment of the hawks by Blue Jays limited the nesting choices of the accipiters. Mobbing rules!
>

>     Al Batt
>
>     “If you judge people, you don't have time to love them.”--Mother Teresa
>

>     http://twitter.com/batt_allen
>
>     On Jul 17, 2019, at 5:09 PM, lois fimmano via Mnbird < mnbird at lists.mnbird.net mailto:mnbird at lists.mnbird.net > wrote:
>

>         > >

> >         Question? I have lived here for almost 18 years and each year there is a family of Coopers Hawks. They usually are year round with young ones in the Spring/Summer. They are very vocal and I did locate the nest in a yard a few houses down. This year, I have not heard or seen a Coppers Hawk. Any ideas as to why? I can't see through the trees if the nest is still there. I sure miss them as it was a pleasure to watch them train their young.
> >

> >         Lois
> >
> >     >
> >         Mnbird mailing list
> >         Mnbird at lists.mnbird.net mailto:Mnbird at lists.mnbird.net
> >

> >     >

"People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child - our own two eyes. All is a miracle."

       -Thich Nhat Hanh