[Mnbird] Fwd: Overlooked visitor

DONALD GRUSSING Owner cdrussin at centurylink.net
Thu Feb 14 14:53:12 CST 2019

A couple days ago I was cleaning the ice away from my feeders (it actually plugged up the holes on one of those squirrel-proof jobs). Then, just four feet away, a brown creeper landed on the trunk of an oak tree and inched up to the suet feeder. I have the suet feeder on the tree trunk because brown creepers just seem more comfortable on the trunk and visit more often. What fun to see that tiny bird inch toward the suet, and pick out tiny morsels off the bottom of the chunk. They are so small, blend in so nicely with the bark, and are just so obscure. I love to see them. No flash. No color. Just working along the tree trunks, plugging away, trying to survive. I hope people will feed suet on tree trunks just to help these tiny visitors. Sometimes they drop down to the base of the tree and pick up the tiny morsels dropped and spilled by the woodpeckers etc. as they whack away at the suet block

Don Grussing
Minnetonka