[Mnbird] Interesting raptor seen this morning-help needed with ID

Arjun Guneratne guneratne at macalester.edu
Thu Dec 26 22:10:12 CST 2019

Hello all,

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my query. The consensus is that it
was indeed a leucocistic Red-tailed Hawk. A good start to my Christmas day.

What prompted me to ask my question was that when I went on the web to look
for photos of FEHA and leucocistic RTHA, I came across some photos of FEHA
with reddish tails (like this one
<https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-0bWO-WJArvw%2FUqEdLjWqJRI%2FAAAAAAAABEY%2FnncrzrGB5KU%2Fs1600%2FFerr%2B02.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fjerryliguori.blogspot.com%2F2013%2F12%2Fferruginous-hawks.html&docid=vPTMUm1AOJMkdM&tbnid=37KV74knZnWkDM%3A&vet=12ahUKEwi_0rnV-NTmAhUOnq0KHZPRCYE4rAIQMyhRMFF6BAgBEFc..i&w=956&h=576&itg=1&bih=912&biw=1833&q=ferruginous%20hawk%20tail%20feathers&ved=2ahUKEwi_0rnV-NTmAhUOnq0KHZPRCYE4rAIQMyhRMFF6BAgBEFc&iact=mrc&uact=8>),
and this is also illustrated in the field guides (Peterson says it has a
rufous wash on tail).

FEHA would have been a nice Christmas present, but a leucocistic Red-tail
is not to be sneezed at.