[Mnbird] Orioles building nest in a tree right outside our window

Pamela Freeman gleskarider at gmail.com
Sun May 20 10:55:40 CDT 2018

We are lucky this year in that one of the several pairs of orioles (really,
we seem to be in Little Orioley or Oriole Town or some such, as there is
quite a community of them, at least four pair) has chosen to build their
nest in a red oak not far from our home. As an added bonus, it is nearly
the same level as our 2nd story bedroom and within sight of the same
bedroom's windows and small deck. We have been delighting in watching the
female come with various nesting materials weaving them in. First it
appeared to be not much more than a lot of strands or puffs of fluff or
cotton, though I detected strands of horse hair with the binoculars.
I own two horses and board them nearby. Each year during shedding, I gather
up the long main and tail strands as well as the shorter winter shed hair
and stuff it all into suet cages and string it to tree trunks for the birds
to use in nests. And they do!
And I live where there is plenty of natural, wild things to use. But they
like the long strands especially.

Anyway, we are enjoying watching the orioles build their nest right in
front of us. We have elms, maples, and cottonwoods, but they chose this red
oak, and a branch that is fairly out in the open, where we can see it.

I am going through a large jar of jelly about every three days, between the
orioles, catbirds, and sometimes a grosbeak or two.
No sign of a scarlet tanager this year. In year's past we have had the
pleasure of its ruby company at the jelly in the early spring weeks.

Anoka County, Oak Grove
- Pamela
Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to
accomplish it. The time will pass anyway. - Unknown

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
― Aldo Leopold
I am one who cannot.