[Mnbird] Follow-up on Chickadee/Blue Bird Nesting

Molly Miller johnson-miller at msn.com
Fri May 4 11:09:07 CDT 2018

The chickadees continued to work on their nest and it looked like it was almost complete. Next time I looked, hoping for a chickadee egg, the center material (nest cup) had all been pushed to the edges of the nest and it was open down to the bare, wood bottom. Aha!

The bluebirds had arrived and instead of throwing out all the chickadee nest materials like they usually do, she just remodeled! I've never before seen our bluebirds do that on another bird's nest. She has now filled that empty center of the chickadee nest with fine dried grasses/materials. In other words, they now have a 100% normal, grassy nest cup, with some grasses also overlayed on the chickadee's lovely mosses and fur.

I'm not sure where the chickadees are going to end up.

Molly Miller

Inver Grove Hts

Dakota Co.