[Mnbird] Black-billed Cuckoo, Dakota; Common Gallinule, Loggerhead Shrike

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Sun Jun 24 08:49:16 CDT 2018

Belated thanks to Shawn Conrad, and whoever alerted him, for passing along
the information that this bird had been seen at the 140th Street Marsh
yesterday morning. After Shawn departed, the bird began calling steadily. I
was able to locate it in the trees west of the fencing that lines the
driveway into the dump site. At first it was in a rather flat-topped elm,
(I think) right behind a new accumulation of rainwater on the north side of
the street. It then flew east, giving one brief view, through nearby trees
and over the fencing, to some trees on the other side of the dump driveway.
It was still calling when I left.
Also noted there: three young coots, losing their 'baby' colors, faint
calls from a Virginia Rail, numerous Dickcissels, and Clay-colored Sparrows.

The Gallinule at 180th St. Marsh had been very cooperative. Though not at
first visible, it finally revealed itself on the east edge of the west
pond,  bathing vigorously, and preening. Likewise, the Loggerhead Shrike
was perched on the utility wire along Emery, on the drive from 180th to
140th, just south of 170th.
General birding having become a rarity for me these days, I had considered
it a good omen when I finally saw the Swainson's Hawk in the Dundas area.
It was on a utility wire, east of the exit from 35. Apparently, it was,
indeed my lucky day, adding 4 species to my year-list.
Thanks to all of you who share your sightings.

Linda Whyte
St. Paul