[Mnbird] You may be a Red-necked Grebe if

Al Batt snoeowl at aol.com
Tue Jun 12 23:20:32 CDT 2018

  You choose to nest in Freeborn County.
  I watched a pair of Red-necked Grebes carrying nesting materials and mating (quick and noisy). Darcy Sime, who found the birds, saw and photographed an egg, but heavy rains might have washed that nest away. The pair is at 21731-21729 715th Ave, Albert Lea, MN 56007
https://goo.gl/maps/aXJvrkKRKhx
  Birding has been wicked good.
  At Arrowhead Park along Freeborn Lake, the ground was feathered with elegant cedar waxwings feeding on midges. Midges were in such high numbers that it brought memories of Yankee pitcher Joba Chamberlain being driven to distraction by midges during Game 2 of the 2007 ALDS.
  I walked White Woods County Park and heard the call of a Wood Thrush. It sang a flutelike “Frit-O-Lay.” It was thrilling to hear and reminded me why I’d fallen in love with birds and birding.
  Trumpeter Swans were at usual nesting locations near Albert Lea and at the Straight River Marsh in Steele County.
  A Common Gallinule had been reported along State Line Lake, but I was unable to locate it.

Al Batt
Hartland