[Mnbird] Birding with my students in Swede Hallow

Joachim Huber huber.joachim73 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 07:18:45 CDT 2018

Went birding 5 times in Swede Hallow, St. Paul with my students this week.
Mostly we saw house sparrows, robins, starlings and heard chipping sparrows
on the way. The kids are excited about ANY bird. That's the beauty of
taking kids birding. Their favorites were the oriole in Swede Hallow and
the turkey vulture over head. Best find of Wednesday was a Magnolia
Warbler. I have one student who is super good at spotting birds. I had him
up front with me. Not everyone got to see the Magnolia as it was settled in
the middle of a leafy tree but those of us who did were beyond happy. We
also saw and heard catbirds, downey and hairy woodpeckers. The birds were
not moving around much as we mostly had to go in the afternoons and it was
hot.  Thursday, we saw a Rosebreasted grossbeak. The kids really love
birding. We'll go again next week. Hopefully in the morning. Hopefully
we'll see more birds.