[Mnbird] Young Cooper's Hawks

Molly Miller johnson-miller at msn.com
Sun Aug 19 14:50:05 CDT 2018

We had Cooper's Hawks nesting in our extended yard, and the kids have fledged. The cool thing about a Cooper's nest is the adults really don't hunt in the immediate vicinity of their nest. The bad news is the kids do!

There were three kids, but one of them seemed a bit more independent. Two of them hang out together and seem to be doing fine finding food. I don't know if it is the same two all the time, but a couple weeks ago is the only time I saw all three together. In that case, the "3rd" one flew off pretty much as soon as it saw me in the woods. The other two just hung out--and continue to be quite brazen.

Any speculation on the 3rd one? Any one have experience with juvenile Cooper's? (They had a nest here several years ago, but I didn't have a chance to follow the kids at the time.)

Thanks,

Molly Miller

Inver Grove Hts, Dakota Co.