[Mnbird] Summer Feeder

Brian and Cindy bcdrill at charter.net
Sun Apr 22 20:10:07 CDT 2018

I put up my summer feeder today--after a year of 'beta test' I can
suggest to anyone who is looking for an oddball feeder that this will
actually work.

After we put in a patio a couple of years back I lost my spot to have a
feeder post in the back yard where we could view the birds best (the
bathroom window, but that is another story...)  One day, on an
inspiration, I purchased a feeder pole and ground spike at our local pet
supply store, and a platform feeder with a pole adapter.  We had a heavy
metal patio umbrella stand that we were no longer using, and I set up
the feeder pole on the patio in the umbrella stand.  The ground spike
gives you the extra width to use the umbrella base screw to secure the
post best.

Since we exceed the USPSI (urban squirrel per square inch) I also
attached a baffle cone to the post, and one extension hook for a hanging
feeder.  As long as the second feeder remains above the baffle, it is
also somewhat squirrel proof.  Think short finch sock vs long finch
sock.  One industrious squirrel figured out that it could climb my
umbrella clothesline and leap, but since the feeder was more or less
portable I simply moved it and got it out of reach.  Since I'm a
shortie, I need to stand on a small step to fill the feeder, but that is
okay.

That feeder post withstood all of the weather we threw at it last
summer, and remained standing.  It is a great idea for anyone looking to
put a feeder on a deck or paved area that they weren't sure they could
use for bird feeding in the past.

I hope that this suggestion can help someone else--regards, Cindy in
North Mankato

---