[Mnbird] Salt Lake

Jim Harkness jimharkness at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 22 17:36:44 CDT 2018

 We just returned. There is a very small area of open water on the SD side, and a thin strip of water (1 ft) near shore along part of the N side.It was VERY quiet: no shorebirds, no waterfowl, two meadowlarks and a kestrel. I guess a lot could happen in a week, so don't cancel your Salt Lake Birding Festival plans yet.More generally, shorebirds were v scarce. We saw killdeer and yellowlegs, and that's it! Songbirds are just starting to show up: yellow-rumps in small numbers, an eastern Phoebe, hermit thrushes, bluebirds, 6 spp of sparrows.Waterfowl are abundant, with ducks in far greater numbers than on past Salt Lake weekends I've joined. Notable waterbirds included a Western grebe above the dam at lac Qui Parle State park, and a pair of red-necked grebes at the base of Big Stone Lake. Those two spots (and the sloughs at Montevideo) have great views of all manner of ducks, mergansers and grebes.Our total for a day and a few hours was 84 species.