[Mnbird] MRVAC - Southern Minnesota Birding Days - Field Trip Report - September 14, 15, 2017

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Sat Sep 16 11:16:49 CDT 2017

Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter

Southern Minnesota Birding Days

Field Trip Report

September 14 - Waseca County

September 15 - Steele County

Our group enjoyed a couple nice days of birding in Waseca and Steele counties.  Migrants were present in a number of locations, but not in large numbers.  We observed a total of 15 species of Warblers, but only 6 species of Shorebirds.  Here are some of the locations that had many of the birds we observed:

Waseca County

Goose Lake - Public Access on the North side of the lake.

We observed a few Warblers and other song birds here.

Blowers Park

We observed some Warblers and Vireo's along the entrance road to the park.

Janesville WTP

Lots of Killdeer and some Franklins Gulls.  But no other Shorebirds were observed here.

MN 13, just South of CR 22.

There was a small flooded area of a field on the East side of MN 13 that had some Shorebirds.

American Golden Plover

Killdeer

Least & Pectoral Sandpiper

Wilson's Snipe

Moonan Marsh

There were Sora's, Wilson's Snipe and a Stilt Sandpiper observed here.

Steele County

SE 18th Street, between Bixby Road and CR 43

We spent a couple hours birding this section of road with the highlight being a couple Le Conte's Sparrows found in a weedy patch on the South side of the road, just West of SE 34th Ave.

Rice Lake State Park

We observed a few Warblers here and a single Forster's and a single Black Tern on the lake.

Sacred Heart Cemetery in Owatonna

There were lots of House Finches, Cedar Waxwings and a few Bay-breasted, Magnolia, Nashville and Blackpoll Warblers observed here.

Oak Glen Lake

There were 800+ Franklins Gulls counted on the lake and we observed another flock in the 100s flying South just North of the lake.  There were also lots of Pied-billed Grebes there and two Horned Grebes.

Kaplan's Woods Park

We ended the trip here with a nice mix of Warblers including Black-and-white, Northern Parula and American Redstarts.

Complete checklists are available on EBird.

Upcoming MRVAC and MVNWR walks include;

September 18 - 8:00 am - Bass Ponds

September 22 - 8:00 am - Goodhue County

September 23 - 8:00 am - Bass Ponds

September 26 - 8:00 am - Rapids Lake Unit

September 28 - MRVAC General Membership Meeting

Bloomington Visitor Center - 7:00 pm

Craig Mandel

Minnetonka, Hennepin County

EgretCMan at msn.com