[Mnbird] Hennepin County - MVNWR - Bass Ponds - May 16, 2017 - Field Trip Report

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Wed May 17 00:52:41 CDT 2017

5/16/17

Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge
Bass Ponds Trailhead
8 - 11:00 am
Field trip Report

After a 40 minute rain delay our group turned up some fun birds at the Bass Ponds today.  My favorites were the Willow Flycatcher and Spring plumaged Bobolink.
Here are a few of the species observed by our group:

Northern Shoveler - pair observed on Long Meadow Lake.
Broad-winged Hawk
Virginia Rail - Heard only
Sora Heard only
Chimney Swift
Willow Flycatcher
Least Flycatcher
Great Crested Flycatcher
Yellow-throated Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Gray-cheeked Thrush
Swainson's Thrush
Northern Waterthrush, Tennessee, Nashville, Common Yellowthroat, American Redstart, Magnolia and Yellow Warblers.
Clay-colored Sparrow
Bobolink
Yellow-headed Blackbird - Heard and seen on Long Meadow Lake.

Note a complete list of the birds observed on our walk can be found on the EBird Web site.

Here are the dates of some upcoming MNWR bird walks.  The walks begin at 8:00 am and there is no fee for the walk.

June 12 - Bass Ponds
June 17 - Louisville Swamp Unit
June 19 - Bass Ponds
These walks begin at 8:00 am.

MRVAC Field Trips:
June 1, 2 - Western Minnesota Birding Days
June 4 - Dakota County Prairie Birds - 7:00 am - Steve Weston
June 5 - Murphy-Hanrehan Regional Park - 7:00 am
For more information on these walks please contact me.
952-240-7647

Craig Mandel
Hennepin County - Minnetonka
EgretCMan at msn.com