[Mnbird] Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, C. Gallinule, Carolina Wren

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Thu Jun 29 19:09:32 CDT 2017

An unscheduled day of freedom to bird resulted in a lifer plus two FOY
birds. When we arrived at the Flycatcher locale (Dexter, Mower C.), the
bird had just taken off. We waited about an hour, scanning cell tower,
wires, fencing and ditches. Chad Heins spotted it heading past us SW over
the soybean field next to us. It dropped into the ditch that cuts through
the field, where it hunted for some time, using a tall piece of vegetation
as a perch and launch-pad. Lining up by the cell tower gave us great views
into the ditch, and lovely lifer looks.

After lunch, we tried for the Yellow-throated Warblers at Whitewater SP
with no luck; mowers obliterated all song. We did find the Gallinule in the
eastern-most (Doerer) pool, feeding in the first back-channel. (74 is
marked as closed, but the pool can be accessed from US 61, going around the
barricade).

In Zumbro Falls, the Carolina Wren was in full voice, on the steep, wooded
hillside beside/behind the The Local Pizzeria. He granted no looks from the
thick foliage, even when we hiked up the hill on to the residential street
at the hilltop. Perhaps he was avoiding the House Wrens who occupied one of
the yards there; they were also quite vocal.

Thanks go out to all who share sightings and updates!
Linda Whyte