[Mnbird] YB Chat, Washington C

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Thu Jun 1 14:58:31 CDT 2017

Thanks to all who posted and updated this bird's location. it was great
motivation to choose Afton SP for the daily exercise, and afforded a chance
to enjoy a species I hadn't seen in several years.
At around 7:30 AM it was in the well-described area, doing amazing
renditions of several calls, especially corvids'. Had the bird not chosen
to tee-up in the medium-sized tree just to the right of the down-slope,
where I could watch it sing in full view, I would have sworn I was hearing
a crow and a jay.
Aside from its stunning yellow breast and bright spectacles, its flight
display was a treat to see. The wing tips almost seemed to touch each other
over the bird, and there appeared to be a stop-frame pattern in the
movement.
Another treat was the dozens of audible Henslow's Sparrows in the field
bordering the entry path from the 50th St. gate. It took several minutes of
patience, but one of them did sit up on a grass stalk and gave me a good
look as it sang.
I was unable to see the W. Kingbird, or the BB Cuckoo, nor did I pursue the
W Tanager, but there were many other species in evidence: E Kingbird, E
Phoebe, Least Flycatcher, GC Flycatcher, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Alder
Flycatcher, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, American Goldfinch, Cedar Waxwings,
Blue-winged Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, RT Hummingbird, Bald Eagle,
Red-tailed Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Kestrel, Warbling Vireo, House Wren, Sedge
Wren, E. Towhee, Bluebirds, Blue Jays, Crows. There were numerous
Meadowlarks, and sparrow species included Chipping, Song, Clay-colored,
Field, Vesper, and what might have been Lark Sparrow. Though by no means a
complete list of what to expect, it was still an amazing variety for being
in only the northern, grassy reaches of the park!
Linda Whyte