[Mnbird] FOY Sandhills

Jim Harkness jimharkness at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 21:22:38 CST 2017

I had the good fortune to be in La Crosse over the weekend, and saw my FOY Sandhills in the mixed wetlands and fallow fields along the Root River while driving up MN 16 from La Crescent to Rushford. (They were just a few miles upstream from La Crescent.) Also present a dozen swans (sp?), Shoveler, GW Teal, Gadwall and hundreds of Canada Geese. This afternoon on the way back to the Cities, I didn't have time to stop the car but from behind the wheel was treated to hundreds of Bald Eagles between La Crescent and Lake City, and the stretch of Mississippi just upstream of Winona featured some large rafts of Scaup and many Mergansers.