[Mnbird] CBC Hermit Thrush (Hennepin C) not refound/more

Linda Whyte linda at moosewoods.us
Sun Dec 17 11:22:32 CST 2017

The Hermit Thrush found on yesterday's count was not refound (so far) this
morning, at yesterday's Lake Nokomis location of Woodlawn and E 50th.
Perhaps it's in hiding from the Cooper's Hawk that was currently visible.
What was refound was Yellow-rumps; not the single one Pam Albin spotted
yesterday (while searching diligently among the Cedar Waxwings for
Bohemians, to no avail) but we counted at least 3 Yellow-rumps this
morning. There were a few more Juncos today, too, along with 15 or so Cedar
Waxwings; the Waxwings seemed more wary of enjoying the plentiful cedar
berries today, mainly doing flyovers.
Especially gratifying is that this small area, just south of the Nokomis
Community Center, is one which was several years ago given over to natural
plantings, sponsored by the Nature Conservancy. It was allowed to grow and
remain uncut, and seems to be giving needed food and shelter for
over-wintering birds. While Pam and Rob were combing through Waxwings in
the cedars yesterday, Shelley Bowman and I were scrutinizing the activity
in the undergrowth, hoping for the less common overwintering sparrows. When
the Hermit Thrush rose up out of the plantings and perched up in the tall
deciduous tree not thirty feet away, all I could do was call out, "thrush,
thrush !!!", and feel grateful. Kudos to all those who have had the
foresight to support habitat improvement, no matter where or how small the
project.
Linda Whyte